We are committed to Safeguarding Children, Young People, Victims/perpetrators of Domestic Abuse and Vulnerable Adults. The PCC has adopted the Church of England’s policies and best practice on safeguarding which may be found on the Church of England’s website.
Our Parish Safeguarding Officer is June Braybrook, who may be contacted at the church or by email
Other key contacts:
Churchwarden: Rosemary Beales
Telephone 020 7278 9785
Vicar: The Rev’d Christopher Trundle
Telephone: 020 7837 1861
Action on Elder Abuse: 080 8808 8141
Islington Council Neglected or Abused Children Line: 020 7527 7400
In accordance with the House of Bishops’ Policy Statements ‘Promoting a Safer Church’ (2017) and ‘Protecting All God’s Children’ (2010) and the Diocesan Safeguarding Policy ‘Promoting a Safer Diocese’ (2018) our church is committed to:
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. This implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to pro-tect them from harm.
• We accept and endorse the principles set out in ‘Safeguarding in the Diocese of London’.
• We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
• We recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church community.
• We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working in both paid and voluntary positions with children or vulnerable adults, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosures and making appropriate referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
• We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, co-operating with the police and social care services in any investigation.
• We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
• We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them appropriate pastoral support.
• We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
The PCC of this Parish agreed and adopted the above Policy at its meeting on 30th April, 2019.We have appointed June Braybrook as our Church Safeguarding Officer. Copies of ‘Safeguarding in the Diocese of London’ and any parish guidelines and procedures are held in the Parish Room. The PCC shall review this policy annually. The next review will take place at the first PCC meeting following the APCM to be held in April, 2020.
Further guidance can be found in the National Church’s Safeguarding Policies and Practice Gui-dance: https://www.churchofengland.org/safeguarding/promoting-safer-church/policy-practice-guid-ance.
The National Church’s Parish Safeguarding Handbook provides further advice on responding to concerns: https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2019-03/Parish%20Safeguard-ing%20Handbook%20March%202019.pdf
The PCC has appointed June Braybrook as our Church Safeguarding Officer.
Our Safeguarding Officer is the first person to speak to if you have any concerns around the wel-fare of a child or vulnerable adult.
07811 447 280
Other key contact details
London Diocesan Safeguarding Officer: 020 7932 122
Alternative contact details
NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
CHILDLINE: 0800 1111
STOP IT NOW: 0808 1000 900
NAPAC: 0808 801 0331
SAMARITANS: 116 123
FAMILY LIVES: 0808 800 2222
NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HELPLINE: 0808 2000 247
ACTION ON ELDER ABUSE: 080 8808 8141